Internet is one of the necessary elements when building a computer by yourself. Do you know how to set up Internet? How to connect to modem? How to test Internet connection? This post from MiniTool will show you the step-by-step guide on Internet connection.
Some people think setting up Internet connection is very easy since they just need to plug in a couple of cables and wait for your modem to boot up. But, it is usually not that simple. To set up Internet, you need to connect modem, set up router, test Internet connection and set up modem and network.
So, in this post, we will show you how to set up Internet and how to get Internet.
How to Set Up Internet?
Connect to Modem
To set up Internet connection, the first thing you need do is to connect modem.
To do that, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet or LAN port on the back of your modem, and then plug the other end of Ethernet cable into the port of your computer.
There are two different Internet types including DSL internet and Cable Internet. If you are using the DSL Internet, you need to plug your phone cable into the DSL port. If you are using the Cable internet, you need to plug the coax cable into the Cable In or RF In jack. No matter which one you have, you need to plug into your wall for Internet service to work.
Connect Router to the Internet
If you want to connect multiple devices to the Internet through a wired or wireless network, a router is required.
Then you can set up the route along with modem. Plug the Ethernet cable into the router rather than plugging it into the computer. Then, you need to prepare another Ethernet cable and use it to connect the router with computer. In essence, you are connecting the computer to the modem through the router.
In this way, more devices can be connected and you even can use wireless devices.
Test Internet Connection
After the modem or router is connected, you need to test whether the Internet connection is successful. To do that, you should open the browser such as Google Chrome and search for anything. Then check whether it is successful. If yes, you have set up Internet successfully.
Google Chrome may keep crashing when using it. This post will demonstrate you how to solve the problem Chrome keeps crashing Windows 10.
However, if you do not have an Internet connection, what can you do? If you come across this situation, don’t panic and you can try the following solutions to solve this problem.
- Try opening a different website. If the second website can be loaded successfully, it could be that the first website you tried is down.
- Reboot your computer. When encountering some error, you can try rebooting your computer and check whether the Internet connection is successful.
- Check cable connection. When your computer does not have Internet, you can check whether the cable is connected well.
- Reboot the modem.
- Make sure you connect the right network.
After these steps, you can check whether the Internet is connected successfully.
Learn how to troubleshoot Internet connection problems with these 11 tips incl. WiFi connected but no Internet Windows 10, router not connecting to Internet.
Set up Modem and Network
Once you have connected Internet, it is time to set up your modem and network,
To do that, go to modem’s administration panel by typing the modem’s IP address into the browser. Common modem admin IP addresses include 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. Then enter the username and password to continue.
How to Connect Wireless Network
If you want your device to connect wireless network, what can you do? The following part shows you the guide.
1. Press Windows key and I key together to open Settings .
2. Then choose Network & Internet .
3. Choose Status .
4. Choose Network & Sharing Center .
5. Click Set up a new connection or network .
6. Choose Set up a new network and click Next to continue.
7. Click on Network icon in the notification bar.
8. Then you will see a list of available networks. Choose the network you created, and click Connect to continue.
9. Then type your password to continue.
After that, your device will connect to the wireless Internet.
How to set up Internet? How to get Internet? How to connect to modem? After reading this post, we believe that you already have the answer. If you have any different idea of how to set up Internet, please share it in the comment zone.