This post introduces Windows Defender to you. Learn how to open and use Windows Defender in Windows 10/11, how to enable or disable Windows Defender on your computer, etc. For more computer tips and tricks, you can go to MiniTool Software website where you can also find some useful software programs.
About Windows Defender
Windows Defender is a free program included in Windows 10/11 system that helps protect your computer against security threats like malware, spyware, virus, etc. It is an anti-malware component of Microsoft Windows. Unlike other third-party antivirus software, Windows Defender doesn’t require additional download and installation. Windows Defender is also called Windows Security, Microsoft Defender, Windows Defender Antivirus, or Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
Virus & threat protection in Windows Security helps you scan for threats on your Windows 10/11 computer. Check the details in this post.
Windows Defender Download for Windows 10/11
Windows Defender is included in Windows 10/11 system and is not available for a standalone download now.
If you can’t find Windows Defender on your computer, you can update Windows 11/10 to the latest version. To download and install the latest Windows updates, you can click Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates. For Windows 11, you can click Start -> Settings -> Windows Update -> Check for updates.
Quick Video Guide:
How to Open Windows Defender in Windows 10/11 – 5 Ways
To open Windows Defender in Windows 10/11, you can try the 5 ways below.
Way 1. Use Windows Search
Click Start , type Windows Defender in the search box and choose Windows Defender or Windows Security from the result to open it.
Way 2. Find it from Start menu
For Windows 10, click Start and find Windows Security or Windows Defender from the apps list. For Windows 11, you can click All Apps icon to list all apps in your system.
Way 3. Open Windows Defender from Settings
For Windows 10, press Windows + I to open Windows Settings. Click Update & Security . Click Windows Security in the left panel and click Open Windows Security button in the right window to open it.
For Windows 11, you can press Windows + I , click Privacy & Security on the left and click Windows Security on the right, and click Open Windows Security to open it.
Way 4. Access Windows Defender from Control Panel
- Press Windows + R , type control panel , and press Enter to open Control Panel.
- Click System and Security and click Windows Defender Firewall to open its settings.
Way 5. Open Windows Defender in Windows 10/11 from the system tray
If you see a Windows Defender icon in the system tray, you can double-click it to open Windows Defender in Windows 10/11. If you don’t see the icon, it means you don’t enable Windows Defender on your computer. Check how to enable or disable Windows Defender below.
Learn how to upgrade from 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 11 in this post. A step-by-step guide is provided.
How to Enable/Disable Windows Defender in Windows 11/10
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Click Privacy & Security in the left panel. For Windows 10, click Update & security .
- Click Windows Security on the right.
- Click Open Windows Security .
- In the Windows Security app, you can select Virus & threat protection and click Manage settings on the right. Then you can toggle the switch on or off under Real-time protection to enable or disable Windows Defender in Windows 11 or 10.
- If you want, you can also adjust other Windows Defender settings like firewall & network protection, account protection, app & browser control, device security, view protection history, etc.
If you need to recover data from Windows 11/10 computer or other storage devices, you can try MiniTool Power Data Recovery .