If the system you’re running has problems starting, you’ll receive the certain error messages during computer startup; it may prevent you from accessing system & hard drive as usual. This is known as a BIOS error. Today, my topic is how to deal with the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR when you see it on a blue screen of your computer.
What Is ACPI BIOS Error
There are a lot of people complaining that they run into a blue screen with an ACPI _BIOS_ERROR. They didn’t know what happened and want to know the useful solutions to fix the ACPI BIOS error . Noticing this, I decide to introduce such BSOD error (Blue Screen of Death error) first; then, provide the exact steps to fix it on a Windows PC.
MiniTool Solution is an expert in fixing such errors.
What Is ACPI
The full name of ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. Released in December 1996, ACPI is actually the industry specification to handle the power consumption in both desktop and mobile computers. This open standard is very useful for the discovery and configuration of computer hardware components.
Basic functions of ACPI include:
- Decide the time for a device to turn on or off.
- Help to change to a lower-level of power consumption if the battery starts running low.
- Keep the essential programs and block the less important applications.
- Reduce the clock speed according to applications’ actual requirements.
- Reduce the power needs of the motherboard and peripheral device without activating devices in advance.
- Enable the modem power o receive any incoming faxes so as to keep the stand-by mode.
- ACPI is able to control your drive as soon as it is connected to PC properly.
In-depth Description of the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
Many Windows 10 users reported that their PC ran into problem ACPI BIOS error on a blue screen. Yes, Windows 10 ACPI BIOS error is a typical and serious BSOD error that could be caused by a lot of reasons.
Common causes of ACPI_BIOS_ERROR Windows 10:
- The system drivers are configured improperly.
- The device drivers are too old or have been damaged.
- There’s a conflict of system drivers after the new hardware has been installed.
- The Windows registry database has been damaged as a result of the recent software change.
- The computer is attacked by virus/malware and the system related files are ruined afterwards.
- The bootable hard drive is damaged somehow. ( How to recover data when the bootable hard drive is broken? )
- Changes (for instance, RAM change) have been made during the computing hibernation.
In fact, the popular stop code of such BSOD error is 0x000000A5.
I feel glad to share solutions with users to help them recover files deleted by virus attack quickly and safely.
To sum up, there are two root reasons for causing ACPI BIOS error Windows 10.
First , the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Basic Input / Output System (BIOS) is not compliant with ACPI prompts the error message. There are obvious differences between the ACPI in the OS and BIOS; the differences will have an impact on the outcome of simultaneous read & write operations and the frequently used features, such as Plug and Play (PnP) and Power Management.
Second , users have added the Random Access Memory (RAM) to computer during hibernation; the operating system will detect this change while the file Hiberfil.sys is loaded.
The ACPI error may occur on your PC in the following situations:
- You’re installing Windows 10 or other operating systems : the ACPI BIOS error occurs usually when you try to install the system. When that really happens to you, you should check the BIOS configuration and change corresponding settings before starting to install Win10 again.
- You’re using Windows 8 and Windows 7 : in addition to Win10, the users running other systems like Win8 and Win7 also reported the ACPI_BIOS_FATAL_ERROR.
- You’re resuming PC after a period of hibernation : if you have made some changes to your PC during the hibernation, for instance add RAM, you’ll receive the ACPI BSOD error after resuming it. At this time, please go to scan the RAM (check whether it is faulty) and remove the overclock settings to have a try.
- You’re starting the computer and seeing Acpi.sys BSOD : the name of the file that leads to the ACPI error will be provided on the screen; in this case, you’d better search for the driver or device that is related to the problematic file.
- You’re booting the PC and encounter restart loop : a blue screen may show up when you try to start your computer and it may force the PC to restart again and again. When you are in face of this, please try to end the loop by changing/updating the BIOS settings.
- You’re working on different brands of PCs : the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR is not exclusive to the computers of certain manufacturer. Indeed, I find this error affects a lot of PCs made by famous manufacturers, such as Dell, HP, Asus, Toshiba, Acer, Lenovo, Surface 2, and Sony Vaio.
Here’s a true example of Windows 10 ACPI_BIOS_ERROR on Dell.
Dell 3147 “ACPI BIOS ERROR” on Windows 10 May 2019 update...
Hello, I recently installed the May 2019 update for Windows 10. I noticed that the Intel Trusted engine isn’t installed on that laptop. When I try to install the Intel Trusted Engine, I receive the BSOD saying “ACPI BIOS ERROR”. Will there be an update for this laptop so the missing drivers won’t cause this problem? I noticed under “device manager” that 2 devices are missing drivers. I wonder if Dell will give us an update for this BIOS or will give us the updated drivers for this OS. If someone can fix this or know a workaround to this, please feel free to contact me. P.S.: The BIOS I have is A12 William
How to Fix ACPI BIOS Error
In this part, my focus will be put on how to fix the ACPI related error. If you are one of the victims, please read the following methods with care and then try them yourself.
Update the BIOS Driver
If you have outdated or incompatible drivers on your computer, the ACPI BSOD error tends to appear during the PC startup process: the drivers are very useful for your OS to recognize and utilize the hardware; once they are outdated or not working well, the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error will make your system crash.
Under such circumstances, the easy way to fix the error is updating the drivers.
- Reboot your PC.
- Visit the website of certain hardware manufacturer.
- Search for the corresponding models and download the latest drivers.
- Install the drivers properly.
Please make sure you have updated all your drivers if you can't confirm which driver leads to the problem. In addition, you can open Device Manager -> find the old driver and right click on it -> choose Update driver -> select Search automatically for updated driver software and wait.
System Backup & Restore
Restore system by using an earlier restore point (this method is only helpful when you have enabled the System Restore and created at least one restore point):
- Type Create a restore point into Windows search.
- Hit Enter .
- Click on the System Restore button under System Protection.
- Click Next .
- Select a restore point.
- Click Next .
- Read the information and click Finish to confirm.
- Wait for the restore to complete.
You can also use MiniTool ShadowMaker to restore your system to an earlier state when the ACPI error didn't occur. (Similarly, this is only useful when you have backed up system using it in advance.)
How to back up system to local drive:
Step 1 : find download the installation program (if you don’t trust it, you may get the Trial edition first).
Step 2 : initialize the installation program and finish installing the software.
Step 3 : launch the software and click Keep Trial .
Step 4 : Go to the Backup tab and your system has been chosen by default, if you need to change it, please click on SOURCE .
Step 5 : the software will select the destination path automatically; if you need to change it, please click DESTINATION . (You'd better choose external hard drive as the destination path.)
Step 6 : click Back Up Now and wait. (You can also choose Back Up Later and set a time for the task in Manage page.)
How to restore the system:
- Get a license for MiniTool ShadowMaker (please make sure it includes a Media Builder).
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker and navigate to Media Builder.
- Create a bootable CD/DVD disc or USB drive by following the instructions. (You need to insert the compact disc or connect the USB drive to computer in advance).
- Connect the bootable disk to the PC runs into ACPI_BIOS_ERROR and restart it.
- Enter BIOS to set the bootable disk as the first boot device. Exit BIOS and save changes.
- Run MiniTool ShadowMaker in WinPE.
- Select Restore in the menu bar.
- Choose the proper image and click on the Restore button.
- Choose a backup version and click Next .
- Select a target disk and click Start .
- Click OK to continue in the Warning window.
- Wait for the restore process to complete.
- Change BIOS configuration and restart your PC.
Both the Files and Folders Sync of MiniTool ShadowMaker and the bootable version of MiniTool Power Data Recovery can help you recover data from the internal storage when the system can’t boot.
Similarly, if the BIOS on the computer is too old, the ACPI BSOD error will also appear. Thus, you should do the following to update computer BIOS:
- Confirm the BIOS version you’re using.
- Go to see the model of your motherboard.
- Go to the corresponding website to download the latest version.
- Extract the downloaded BIOS version (please read the readme file for instructions).
- Enter the BIOS directly or create a DOS USB drive/use Windows-based programs to update BIOS to the latest version.
- Restart your computer.
If you fail to get the latest BIOS update or the latest version is not ACPI compliant, you’ll need to try to fix the problem by turning off ACPI mode.
- When the system asks you to install storage drivers, please press F7 on the keyboard (the key may be different on other computers).
- The system will disable ACPI for you automatically. Then, you’re able to continue your installation.
Uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant Driver
- Open Device Manager.
- Look for Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control method battery .
- Right click on it and select Uninstall device .
- Click on the Scan for hardware changes button and wait.
- Let Windows install the new drivers for you automatically.
- Restart the computer.
Set ACPI Mode to S1
Some users reported they have found the fact that ACPI_BIOS_ERROR Blue Screen of Death error showed up while they were waking up PC from sleep mode and they have fixed it by setting ACPI mode to S1 in BIOS.
- Reboot your computer and press certain button to open BIOS; please read the message on the screen quickly and carefully to know which button you should press (the common BIOS entry keys are F2 , Del , Esc and F10 ).
- Go to BIOS Power Settings section by using the arrow keys (it may also be named as Advanced, Other or anything similar).
- Look for Advanced Power Management option (it may also be called APM, Power Savings, or other names).
- Use the arrow keys to select it and press Enter to confirm.
- Change the mode to S1 .
- Exit BIOS and save changes.
Disable AHCI Mode
- Enter BIOS.
- Find Storage options or other items with similar name (the name varies from PC to PC).
- Select IDE or RAID to replace AHCI.
- Exit and save changes.
Please note : if the BIOS on your PC is corrupted , you should fix it ASAP!
Make Use of Startup Repair
- Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD or connect the bootable USB to your computer.
- Restart your computer and click Next .
- Select Repair your computer option and choose Troubleshoot then.
- Click Advanced options and choose Startup Repair .
- Follow the instructions to complete the repair process.
Change OS image ID
- Enter your BIOS.
- Find Advanced and select System Component .
- Navigate to OS image ID and set it to Windows .
- Exit and save changes.
- Restart your PC.
If you have used any overclocking software to get better use of hardware, you should try to fix the ACPI BIOS error by removing all overclock settings.
If you are using the X9DAI motherboard, you still have another way to fix: disable jumper JPME1.
If all above methods failed, your trump card is to reinstall your Windows in UEFI mode.
Though ACPI BIOS error is popular and could happen to you anytime, you shouldn’t be so scared of it.
In the beginning of this article, I have introduced the causes and situations of ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error; you should know how to avoid it greatly. In the second part, I have introduced 11 useful ways (8 with exact steps) to fix the error yourself.
Hope you never meet the BIOS error; but even if you do, please stay calm and try to settle it down as quickly as you can.