Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset [Features, Versions, Download] [MiniTool Wiki]
What Is Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset
Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, a part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP), is also referred to as Microsoft DaRT. As its name suggests, Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset is a collection of tools that allows you to diagnose PC issues and recover lost files.
Actually, it is an official utility suite of Microsoft that includes a Registry Editor, File Explorer, Crash Analyzer, and tools to restore files, repair disks, scan for viruses, etc.
To be specific, Microsoft DaRT is capable of doing the following things.
- It can help you recover unusable end-user PCs.
- It can restore lost files and detect & remove malware even when PCs are offline.
- It allows admins to diagnose and repair computers that are not booting or have issues with the startup. For instance, Crash Analyzer can disclose the cause of the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).
- It repairs locked-out computers.
- It helps you create a DaRT recovery image in International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and Windows Imaging (WIM) file formats and burn the image to a CD, DVD, or USB. Then you can use the recovery image files and deploy them locally or to a remote partition or recovery partition.
Given that fact, DaRT is packaged as a bootable Emergency Recovery Disk. When your PC becomes unbootable, you are able to use Microsoft DaRT to fix it.
For unbootable PCs, you can create a bootable CD/DVD/USB drive on another computer by using MiniTool Partition Wizard and then boot the faulty computer with the media . Then repair your computer with features like Rebuild MBR, Check File System, and Surface Test of this partition manager.
Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset Development
This section shows you the specific features of the main Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset versions. You can have a quick view by reading the content below.
It is a set of tools that extend the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). It helps you troubleshoot and fix Windows-based desktops (including unbootable PCs). For instance, you can find the cause of an issue by checking the event log or system Registry. Then it fixes the issue immediately.
DaRT 7 continues to support all the scenarios included in previous versions and it adds a Remote Connection feature based on the three new deployment options.
What’s new in DaRT 8? Well, it has the following new features.
- Create DaRT images on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.
- Install Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 on the local hard disk.
- Create one image that supports computers that have either a BIOS or UEFI interface.
- Create both 32 and 64-bit images from one computer.
- Utilize a GUID partition table (GPT) for partitioning.
DaRT 8 includes tools like Computer Management, Crash Analyzer, Defender, Disk Commander, Disk Wipe, Explorer, File Search, File Restore, Hotfix Uninstall, Locksmith, Registry Editor, SFC Scan, Solution Wizard, and TCP/IP Config.
Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 8.1 add some features based on the previous versions. For instance, DaRT 8.1 supports WIMBoot (Windows image file boot) environment if WIMBoot or DaRT 8.1 image is built on Windows 8.1 Update or later.
It allows you to create DaRT images by using Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1. For earlier versions of the Windows Server and Windows systems, you should use the earlier versions of DaRT. In addition, DaRT 8.1 includes updates that fix issues found since the release of DaRT 8.0 SP1.
DaRT adds support for Windows 10. It means that you can create DaRT images by using Windows 10. As Windows Defender has become a part of the Windows 10 Preinstallation Environment image, DaRT 10 toolset removed it.
Also read: NTFS Recovery: Top 6 NTFS Undelete Tools Help You
Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset Download
DaRT is free to download and use. According to your system version, download a suitable version of DaRT. The download requirements vary depending on the specific DaRT versions.
Before you download DaRT 8.1, you should download the items below first. Otherwise, you may fail to download DaRT 8.1.
- Windows Assessment and Development (ADK) Kit 8.1 (ADK 8.1 is not required if you only install Remote Connection Viewer or Crash Analyzer)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1
- Windows 8.1 debugging tools
Likewise, you need to get Windows Assessment and Development Kit (ADK) 10.0 installed for the DaRT Recovery Image Wizard. ADK 10.0 includes Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) and tools to customize, deploy, and service Windows images.
You are not required to install ADK 10.0 if you only install Remote Connection Viewer or Crash Analyzer. If you want to use Crash Analyzer in DaRT 10, you need to install Windows 10 debugging tools on your PC.
Then navigate to the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack page and click on the responding link to download Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset. After that, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.