How to Recover Lost Data from Hard Drives [MiniTool Wiki]
About Data Recovery
Data Recovery is designed to recover files from the logically damaged partition, formatted partition, and RAW partition as well as to recover files mistakenly deleted from internal or external hard drives.
Besides, many computer users may have encountered partition loss due to some reasons like system update, hard drive failure, OS corruption, etc. And certainly, data in the partition is lost. Lost and deleted partitions will be shown in the main interface of Data Recovery , and users can scan the lost partition to recover lost or deleted files.
How to Recover Lost Data from Hard Drive
Step 1. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard to get its main interface.
Step 2. To recover files from the hard drive, click Data Recovery on the top Tool Bar.
Step 3. After launching the Data Recovery function, users will enter the following interface where all the detected storages devices on the computer and specific locations for data recovery are listed.
Here Data Recovery will list 3 parts, and every part is different from each other.
- Logical Drives: this section shows lost partitions, unallocated space, and all existing partitions on the PC, including removable devices like USB drives. For partitions without drive letters, lost partitions, and unallocated space, they are arranged at the end of this section.
- Devices: this section lists all hard disks connected to the computer. Users can select a hard disk to scan.
- Recover From Specific Location: this section allows users to scan and recover lost files from three specific locations (Desktop, Recycle Bin, and Folder). The Load Manually option allows users to load the last scanning result (a .rss file) to directly check the recovered files without more scans.
Then, move the cursor to a partition and click Scan . Here, take partition E for example.
If the target partition is not listed, please click the Refresh icon on the top to refresh this interface. To recover some specified file types on certain partitions, use the Settings option to help.
Step 4. See! This software is scanning the selected partition. And it can find the lost or deleted files while scanning. If users have found crucial data, they can click the Pause or Stop icon to get the instant data recovery.
Step 5. After completing the scan, users need to find the files they need. Then, check some items and click the Save button.
Besides, to quickly find needed files, MiniTool Partition Wizard's Data Recovery offers the following options.
In this section, all the found files will be displayed by file type. Just unfold a file type and choose certain items of this type to recover.
Show Lost Files
This option helps users find the lost files quickly. Just click the Show Lost Files button to make the software only shows the lost files.
This option allows users to input the specific file name so as to quickly find the needed file. Just click the Find button, type the file name and click Find finally. For an exact search, users can check Match Case or Match Word .
- The Match Case option requires users to pay attention to the capital and small letter of the file name.
- The Match Word option requires users to type the complete file name including the file extension.
- If there is more than one file that matches the searching condition, after clicking the Find button, users can click the Find Next button to check whether it is a needed file.
Click on the Filter tab to bring up the Advanced Filter window. In this window, users can search files by filename/extension, file size, creation, and modification date. Besides, users can also choose to show deleted, lost or normal files according to their needs.
Step 6. Finally, choose a directory to save selected files. It is recommended to save the recovered files on another drive. Otherwise, the lost/deleted data could be overwritten.
If users don't want to perform the recovery operation right now or have some problems when using this software, the Export Scan Result option helps them to export the scan result to avoid a new scan. Click this feature, add a file name for the .rss file, and export it to a location.
Next time when users open Data Recovery , just click the Load Manually option on the main interface and select the .rss file to upload the scan result directly so that they don’t need to rescan the drive for recovery.